I think I have it figured out!
You know it would help if I hadn't just jumped in and decided to write. I hope I will be able to see this posting when I get it published! I read some more directions -- it does help most of the time!
I just checked the NY Times website and found that the snow they have had today beat a record set during a storm on December 26-27, 1947. How well I remember that storm! Being only a short distance from the city we experienced that storm. I enjoyed it like most of the 8 year olds in our neighborhood. We had a place to slide nearby with our runner sleds. It was a real treat! We didn't get snow days like the kids will get tomorrow because we were already on vacation. Somewhere I think there are pictures of me with snow up past my fanny.
The snow was okay but it was followed by an ice storm on New Year's Day 1948. We lost power and since we had oil heat that required electricity we went to stay with friends who had a hand-stoked coal furnace. We camped out at their house for several days since the storm occured over a holiday weekend and the linemen were not working. I don't know why but they seem to have power outages out there more often than we do in MN. Nowadays I think the workers would be called into work!
I am glad to be in my warm MN house with only a reasonable amount of snow. I am also glad that I am not trying to fly anywhere in the Northeast! I watched the USA women beat the German team today. Both teams have gals from U of M and UMD. That makes it more interesting.
I want to write about events at church today but I will ponder on what I want to include.
I'll be back tomorrow!
Lois
I just checked the NY Times website and found that the snow they have had today beat a record set during a storm on December 26-27, 1947. How well I remember that storm! Being only a short distance from the city we experienced that storm. I enjoyed it like most of the 8 year olds in our neighborhood. We had a place to slide nearby with our runner sleds. It was a real treat! We didn't get snow days like the kids will get tomorrow because we were already on vacation. Somewhere I think there are pictures of me with snow up past my fanny.
The snow was okay but it was followed by an ice storm on New Year's Day 1948. We lost power and since we had oil heat that required electricity we went to stay with friends who had a hand-stoked coal furnace. We camped out at their house for several days since the storm occured over a holiday weekend and the linemen were not working. I don't know why but they seem to have power outages out there more often than we do in MN. Nowadays I think the workers would be called into work!
I am glad to be in my warm MN house with only a reasonable amount of snow. I am also glad that I am not trying to fly anywhere in the Northeast! I watched the USA women beat the German team today. Both teams have gals from U of M and UMD. That makes it more interesting.
I want to write about events at church today but I will ponder on what I want to include.
I'll be back tomorrow!
Lois

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home