Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day + 1

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. We haven't exchanged cards for a long time. We'd rather spend the money on the ingredients for a lovely meal. Jeff did, however, give me a red heart box with Russell Stover candies. Now I can see how long it will last. That was a surprise! They are not the chocolates that we have been seeing in Torino (or Turin) but they are just fine with me.

My plan for the day was to get going early enough so I could go to Super One and Sam's Club so I would be back in time to watch the USA Women's hockey game. Off I went armed with the shopping lists for both places. I knew what I wanted to get for supper. Jeff and I had been discussing the list and he asked me if they still made picnic hams. Not an item I shop for but since they are predicting really cold weather in the next few days Jeff thought maybe he should make baked beans to warm up the house a bit. Navy beans got added to the list. Then while in the meat department I found picnic hams. One went into the cart. Now when you have a picnic ham you can make pea soup so the green peas also went into the cart. Today Jeff cooked the ham and made a HUGE pot of pea soup. Oh, it is good! Just the right consistency and so tasty! I had to have a second bowl for lunch.

I got sidetracked! For supper I grilled some beef that was yummy (I took the price off the package since I didn't want Jeff to have a stroke!), made baked potatoes and steamed fresh asparagus. YUMMY! For dessert, I put some of the little frozen cream puffs from Sam's and drizzled them with chocolate syrup. Jeff was most happy with the meal and he didn't have to get dressed up to go out and eat! I had my "eat out" meal -- a slice of pizza and a glass of soda at Sam's for lunch!

Love was in the air and we didn't need any help from Hallmark!

Lois

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's the true spirit of the holiday! Dinner sounded great...although those little cream puffs are my downfall!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Yum, yum... I need to go buy a
picnic ham! I'm thinking of ham and pea soup too, and homemade potato soup with this cold weather!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home