Finding Joy in Meaningless Tasks
The following excerpts are from an e-message I get each day. I am looking at long term clutter in my house and thinking "How can I make fun of taking care of this?"
"...we can also find joy in the chores and tasks we don't especially like. All we need is a change of attitude, a different approach, a little music, or some help from friends, and the tasks or responsibilities that we perceive as tedious can become a source of pleasure.
Most of us tend to put off what it is that we don't want to do. Yet, one of the best approaches to an unpleasant task or dull chore is to dive right in and be fully mindful of what it is that you are doing.
Playing your favorite music, dancing while you work, or creating a mental list of everything you are greateful for are just a few ways to turn an unexciting activity into a fun event. .... Look for joy in doing your mundane activities, and they'll become a source of enjoyment rather than a tolerable duty."
How am I going to deal with this? I have piles of books that I want to read, but maybe what I should do is to make myself do some decluttering and THEN allow myself to read for an equal amount of time. Work an hour, read an hour. Do you think that will work? I think it is worth a try!
See you tomorrow!
Lois
"...we can also find joy in the chores and tasks we don't especially like. All we need is a change of attitude, a different approach, a little music, or some help from friends, and the tasks or responsibilities that we perceive as tedious can become a source of pleasure.
Most of us tend to put off what it is that we don't want to do. Yet, one of the best approaches to an unpleasant task or dull chore is to dive right in and be fully mindful of what it is that you are doing.
Playing your favorite music, dancing while you work, or creating a mental list of everything you are greateful for are just a few ways to turn an unexciting activity into a fun event. .... Look for joy in doing your mundane activities, and they'll become a source of enjoyment rather than a tolerable duty."
How am I going to deal with this? I have piles of books that I want to read, but maybe what I should do is to make myself do some decluttering and THEN allow myself to read for an equal amount of time. Work an hour, read an hour. Do you think that will work? I think it is worth a try!
See you tomorrow!
Lois

1 Comments:
Lois...Let me know if that works!
Post a Comment
<< Home