Sunday, February 19, 2006

WOW!

I just checked online and one Powerball player in Nebraska has won 365 million dollars. The television told us the odds of winning and they were so small it would seem like a very poor use of even one dollar. I hope the winner will use the funds wisely and not be taken in by unscrupulous persons.

The United Methodist Church does not believe in lotteries, gambling in general. So many folks are harmed by the gambling habit. It's not that I personally wouldn't like to get a big bundle of cash. However, if it came from gambling I couldn't ethically give any of the funds to my church. And if they knew the funds were gambling receipts I know they would not accept them.

Then there are folks who have worked hard, invested wisely, lived good lives and when they leave this earth they remember their church with nice bequests. How wonderful it is for a church to be gifted so that they can improve their programs, outreach, etc.

Today, at church, we were informed of a bequest from a former member's estate. It amounted to more than the annual budget of Hope UMC! Now we will go through the process of making wise decisions on how the funds will be used. That will be an awesome responsibility. The Discipline of the United Methodist Church will be the guide used. Can you imagine opening a letter with a VERY large check enclosed? What would your reaction be? Praise the Lord for this gift!

The bequest stole the thunder of the arrival and distribution of our new Hope UMC Directory. It is a beautiful work of art and Sara is so relieved to have it in hand!
Thanks Sara for all your hard work! And that of your task force!

We were reminded that those needing healing are sometimes unable to ask for it. Their friends must be the ones who get the "sick" person to where they may be healed.

I think we hit the jackpot today!

Lois

1 Comments:

Blogger One in a million Saras said...

Thank you Lois! I'm feeling relief and a ton of closure. What's next...

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home