September 8 -- Hephzibah Day
My young friend, Zane Coyle, celebrates "Zane Day" with his parents, Kelly and Michelle, on the day that he was adopted. A great idea! Four years ago on September 8, which also happens to be my sister-in-law Nancy's birthday, it was an extremely hot Sunday in Duluth. Jeff went up to take a walk in the woods near the Amity Creek in back of Park Hill Cemetery. On his way back to the car, he heard a mournful meowing behind him. He turned around and there was a young calico kitten following him. He continued walking the several blocks to the car and there was the kitten persistently making her presence known. He picked her up and put her in the trunk of our car and brought her home.
When Jeff came in the house he said to me, "There's a critter in the trunk and if it doesn't get some food and water it will 'croak'." I asked if I needed a rope and was told "no". Out I went and when I opened the trunk, this sweet little kitten looked up at me and gave me a meow as if to ask, "Are you going to help me?". I picked her up and brought her into the house and first gave her a dish filled with cool water which she lapped up. Then I went about looking for something to feed her. Don't you know all we had was Albacore tuna! None of the everyday kind of tuna! We opened the first can and she ate it up like there was no tomorrow. Then she begged for more! The second can was quickly devoured. We thought for sure that she would then throw up from eating so much, but she wanted more. The third can was opened and I don't remember if she ate the whole can immediately but it did get eaten.
I had been begging for several years to have a cat but was told by Jeff that he didn't want any cat in our house-- in no uncertain terms! We did all the proper things when you find an animal (or an animal finds you!) and put an ad in the paper for a week. I figured that was the way I would get to keep her. Don't you know by the end of the week Jeff was making toys for her --he had fallen for her!
An animal has to have a name and I wanted to call her "Precious". Jeff put his foot down and said, "I am not going to go outside and call "Come here, Precious!" Then he said "Why not call her Hephzibah?" Now that name was vaguely familiar so I went online to see what I could find. It was the name of King Hezekiah's wife and also meant, "She is my delight"! Now I don't know where he pulled that name out from but it was very appropriate because Hephzibah was a delight for both of us! She has continued to be a delight for these last four years. She is really Daddy's girl! I am so glad that she chose to follow Jeff that hot Sunday afternoon!
When Jeff came in the house he said to me, "There's a critter in the trunk and if it doesn't get some food and water it will 'croak'." I asked if I needed a rope and was told "no". Out I went and when I opened the trunk, this sweet little kitten looked up at me and gave me a meow as if to ask, "Are you going to help me?". I picked her up and brought her into the house and first gave her a dish filled with cool water which she lapped up. Then I went about looking for something to feed her. Don't you know all we had was Albacore tuna! None of the everyday kind of tuna! We opened the first can and she ate it up like there was no tomorrow. Then she begged for more! The second can was quickly devoured. We thought for sure that she would then throw up from eating so much, but she wanted more. The third can was opened and I don't remember if she ate the whole can immediately but it did get eaten.
I had been begging for several years to have a cat but was told by Jeff that he didn't want any cat in our house-- in no uncertain terms! We did all the proper things when you find an animal (or an animal finds you!) and put an ad in the paper for a week. I figured that was the way I would get to keep her. Don't you know by the end of the week Jeff was making toys for her --he had fallen for her!
An animal has to have a name and I wanted to call her "Precious". Jeff put his foot down and said, "I am not going to go outside and call "Come here, Precious!" Then he said "Why not call her Hephzibah?" Now that name was vaguely familiar so I went online to see what I could find. It was the name of King Hezekiah's wife and also meant, "She is my delight"! Now I don't know where he pulled that name out from but it was very appropriate because Hephzibah was a delight for both of us! She has continued to be a delight for these last four years. She is really Daddy's girl! I am so glad that she chose to follow Jeff that hot Sunday afternoon!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home