Yes, it snowed!
Yesterday morning I thought I would get going earlier than usual for Friday. I also thought that I would beat the snow that was being predicted. Wrong! It had started to come down pretty well but I headed over the post office to do an errand. I was there 5 minutes and there was over a half inch of damp snow on my windshield when I came out. Of course, it was too early to have sand on the street. I was on Superior Street which is level and thought I would try to go up 43rd Ave. East to start my journey up "over the hill" to go to Target and the Super One grocery. I started up 43rd and went one block thinking "do I really want to go any further?". By the time I got to the end of the second block I decided to turn East and head back over to 4401. Too many hills with greasy snow.
I've lived in Duluth for nearly 42 years now and I know from experience that people start running to the grocery store with the first snowflake. Generally older folks who shouldn't be driving in inclement weather--maybe I am getting to be one myself! Nothing like risking a broken hip or arm or a banged up vehicle for a loaf of bread! Not worth any of that! Jeff applauded my wisdom. The stores would be open on Saturday! And our pantry was not bare!
I had thought I would go up to church with my print copy of the enewsletter but our secretary, Diane, called about something else and said it was terrible driving. Thank goodness for email! I sent it to her and she was going to mail on her way home.
Rather than let the snow accumulate Jeff goes out and moves it when there are a couple new inches. By 9 p.m. the "scientific" measuring device --a yardstick--at the Newman's registered just over 10 inches of beautiful pristine snow.
By Saturday morning the sky was bright blue and sunny. The snow was blinding to the eye. The trees were decked with white. The snow plow came by and Jeff got the driveway opened and off I went on my errands.
We have both been enjoying the Olympics -- especially the figure skating and the down hill skiing. Oh, and the snowboarding and the aerial skiing were unbelievable! If you live, you win! Ha! Does make one wonder how many times they have landed on their heads!
Tomorrow is Transfiguration Sunday -- I wonder if the light on that hill was more dazzling than the sunshine on the snow today!
Lois
I've lived in Duluth for nearly 42 years now and I know from experience that people start running to the grocery store with the first snowflake. Generally older folks who shouldn't be driving in inclement weather--maybe I am getting to be one myself! Nothing like risking a broken hip or arm or a banged up vehicle for a loaf of bread! Not worth any of that! Jeff applauded my wisdom. The stores would be open on Saturday! And our pantry was not bare!
I had thought I would go up to church with my print copy of the enewsletter but our secretary, Diane, called about something else and said it was terrible driving. Thank goodness for email! I sent it to her and she was going to mail on her way home.
Rather than let the snow accumulate Jeff goes out and moves it when there are a couple new inches. By 9 p.m. the "scientific" measuring device --a yardstick--at the Newman's registered just over 10 inches of beautiful pristine snow.
By Saturday morning the sky was bright blue and sunny. The snow was blinding to the eye. The trees were decked with white. The snow plow came by and Jeff got the driveway opened and off I went on my errands.
We have both been enjoying the Olympics -- especially the figure skating and the down hill skiing. Oh, and the snowboarding and the aerial skiing were unbelievable! If you live, you win! Ha! Does make one wonder how many times they have landed on their heads!
Tomorrow is Transfiguration Sunday -- I wonder if the light on that hill was more dazzling than the sunshine on the snow today!
Lois

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home