Saturday, March 04, 2006

Lake Wobegon

I tuned into Prairie Home Companion just in time to hear that it had warmed up in Lake Wobegon this week. Of course, the Lutherans were having their Ash Wednesday service. The lay people do the sermons for the Wednesday Lenten services and Mrs. Engquist (the pastor's wife) was scheduled to speak. Her topic was to be "Obstacles to Worship". Unfortunately, she became ill and wasn't able to speak. Pastor Engquist was very relieved because he thought she was going to speak about him!

Of course, there was more but I didn't find it particularly humorous. Garrison can come up with more clever material!

I remember a number of trips down to St. Paul on the Greyhound on Saturday. I would spend time going through Dayton's and checking out other places. About 4:30 p.m. I would walk up Wabasha and go to the World Theatre and put out $2.00 to see Prairie Home Companion. I think my busfare, meals and show cost less than a ticket to the show costs now! After the show I would catch the 8:30 p.m. Greyhound back to Duluth. Jeff and Ray would come down and meet me.

I was at the 10th Anniversary Show at the larger theatre they moved to when the World was found to need many repairs to make it safe. I was way up in nose-bleed territory but it was absolutely awesome. When the show was over everyone followed Garrison and the cast members walking up Wabasha to the Capital where there were all sorts of activity and music. What a fun night!

I think I will wait until the first part of the week and go to the MPR website and listen to the entire show. Maybe if I hear the monolog again I will enjoy it more!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They repeat Saturday's show on Sunday, Lois. You could listen to it then, too.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home