Wednesday, March 01, 2006

MARCH

March 1st is a red letter day at our house! It is one that we look forward to once the last tomatoes of the season are used up. Every March 1st Jeff gets out his starting containers and the potting soil and plants the tomato seeds that he has saved from his Rocket tomatoes. Rockets are an heirloom non-hybrid tomato that ripens very early. This year he decided to try some other early tomatoes that he hasn't planted before...Early Girl, Butcher Boy and 4th of July. It will be interesting to see how the different plants do in our Duluth garden. I don't know why he has chosen March 1st to start the planting but maybe it is because it is a few days after his February 26 birthday.

March can be snowy. The first year I was here on my birthday, Wednesday,March 17, 1965, we had a marvelous blizzard! It was a good one! I got the last Woodland bus and was able to get to my friends house on 23rd Ave., East and 5th Street. We had a great time and since I was off from work I stayed until the plows came through a couple days later.

Once March is here there are lots of games! Starting on the 2nd there are exhibition baseball games nearly every day from the warm climes in Arizona and Florida. That along with H.S. hockey and basketball tournaments and the WCHA hockey playoffs, etc. make the month go by quickly. I'm sure I left something out--like the NCAA basketball tournaments--but there is no wondering why they call it "March Madness".

The days are getting longer. Today we have 11 hours and 6 minnutes of daylight. According to the U.S. Naval Observatory data we will have 12 hours on March 17 when the sun rises at 6:17 a.m. and sets at 6:17 p.m. Because of our latitude we don't mesh with the first day of Spring or Vernal Equinox --by then we have a few more minutes of daylight than darkness.

Today is Ash Wednesday. We begin the journey to Jesus' crucifixion on Good Friday and the resurrection on Easter Sunday. It is a day to keep the end in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home