September 9
Yesterday was Hephzibah Day at our house. She got some extra treats for supper.
Today is a date that I remember for three reasons.
On September 9,1957, I moved into Harriet Walker Hall at Northwestern Hospital to begin our three year nursing diploma course. I had 6 roommates and we were assigned to a room that had at one time been a very large sunporch on the third floor. Two of us were only children and three others had only male siblings. That meant that five of us had never shared a room before. Two of us were from South Dakota, two from Minnesota, two from Wisconsin and one from Michigan. When the gal from Michigan was asked where in Michigan she was from she said, "Gladstone". When questioned again she told us that it was "six miles from Escanaba". Well that didn't help any of us and it was a standing joke for years, even after we graduated. We finally got to see Gladstone when she got married in 1962. There were two other 7 student dorm rooms our freshman year but our group was the only one who graduated all seven who started.
On September 9, 1960 all of us who had "sacrafissed" (sacrificed) enough got to wear white uniforms and carry a bouquet of 2 dozen red roses down the center aisle of St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Minneapolis to receive our diplomas. We had convinced our Director of Nursing that we needed to have "Pomp and Circumstance" so we could process properly. She thought it was "too hackneyed" and wanted us to march to some dirge. She is also the one who said that we must "sacrafiss" to get through the program. What a lady!
Then there is Sunday, September 9, 2001. That is the first Sunday that the Woodland UMC congregation joined with the University UMC congregation at the UUMC building. Lester Park UMC (where I was a member) had chosen not to consider a merger with the Woodland and University congregations but I had been attending University for the better part of a year since I did not have to do stairs and I enjoyed the folks there. I had enjoyed my time with the UUMC folks but that first Sunday when the Woodland folks came (and I knew many of them already)I made a decision to merge with the merged congregation. That day I told Rev. Elton Brown I was ready to be part of the Woodland-University congregation. That group is now Hope UMC and it has given me a great deal of Hope!
Today is a date that I remember for three reasons.
On September 9,1957, I moved into Harriet Walker Hall at Northwestern Hospital to begin our three year nursing diploma course. I had 6 roommates and we were assigned to a room that had at one time been a very large sunporch on the third floor. Two of us were only children and three others had only male siblings. That meant that five of us had never shared a room before. Two of us were from South Dakota, two from Minnesota, two from Wisconsin and one from Michigan. When the gal from Michigan was asked where in Michigan she was from she said, "Gladstone". When questioned again she told us that it was "six miles from Escanaba". Well that didn't help any of us and it was a standing joke for years, even after we graduated. We finally got to see Gladstone when she got married in 1962. There were two other 7 student dorm rooms our freshman year but our group was the only one who graduated all seven who started.
On September 9, 1960 all of us who had "sacrafissed" (sacrificed) enough got to wear white uniforms and carry a bouquet of 2 dozen red roses down the center aisle of St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Minneapolis to receive our diplomas. We had convinced our Director of Nursing that we needed to have "Pomp and Circumstance" so we could process properly. She thought it was "too hackneyed" and wanted us to march to some dirge. She is also the one who said that we must "sacrafiss" to get through the program. What a lady!
Then there is Sunday, September 9, 2001. That is the first Sunday that the Woodland UMC congregation joined with the University UMC congregation at the UUMC building. Lester Park UMC (where I was a member) had chosen not to consider a merger with the Woodland and University congregations but I had been attending University for the better part of a year since I did not have to do stairs and I enjoyed the folks there. I had enjoyed my time with the UUMC folks but that first Sunday when the Woodland folks came (and I knew many of them already)I made a decision to merge with the merged congregation. That day I told Rev. Elton Brown I was ready to be part of the Woodland-University congregation. That group is now Hope UMC and it has given me a great deal of Hope!

1 Comments:
Lois, we are so thrilled to have you with us, YOU give us hope too.
Post a Comment
<< Home